Sussex County Sheriff’s Office
39 High Street, Newton, NJ 07860 • TEL: 973.579.0850 FAX: 973.579.7884
- Under the leadership of Sheriff Michael Strada, the sheriff’s office provides numerous services to the citizens and local police agencies of Sussex County.
- Bureau of Corrections
- The Bureau of Corrections oversees the operation of the Keogh-Dwyer Correctional Facility and is responsible for the custody and care of incarcerated persons.
- Bureau of Law Enforcement
- The Bureau of Law Enforcement represents the enforcement arm of the Sussex County Sheriff’s Office. Its personnel are tasked with carrying out the statutory responsibilities of the sheriff as mandated by the state constitution.
- Emergency Management
- The Division of Emergency Management coordinates the efforts of police, fire, EMS, public works, public health and a myriad of volunteer organizations during emergencies.
- Fire Marshal
- The fire marshal supports and facilitates the safety of the general public through fire safety education, supporting fire safety legislation and fire prevention education programs to minimize the loss of property and life.
- The Sussex County Sheriff’s Office hires employees based on the results of an open competitive law enforcement entry level examination given by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission.
- Sheriff’s Office History
- The Sussex County Sheriff’s Office came into existence in 1753 and for well over 200 years now, has steadfastly remained committed to serving the residents of Sussex County.